Home Decorating Ideas

Kitchen of the Week: Crisp and Coastal on the Connecticut Shore

0
Interior designer Susan Helie had drawn sketches of her dream home on the water, and she and her husband, Peter, set out to find a site for it in Stonington, Connecticut. Across the harbor from the village of Stonington, with views of the Long Island Sound and the Watch Hill lighthouse and with dock potential (it was just steps from a little beach), they found a shingled 1980s gambrel set upon her dream site. Assuming she’d tear it down and bring her sketches to life, she didn’t even want to set foot in the house. “But my frugal husband insisted we at least go in, and I had to admit that the house had great bones,” she says. “My husband made me realize it was my dream house, but just a little smaller.”

While the floor plan and quality of the architecture were pretty close to her vision, the 1980s track lights and Formica were not. “I wanted it a little more contemporary, a little yacht-like and a little island-ish all rolled into one,” she says. Here’s a look at how she made her dream home out of the sweet gambrel home, embracing its original spirit as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment